[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The 64k$ Question

At 03:25 AM 6/21/96 -0600, you wrote:
>From tahoetom-at-best-dot-comThu Jun 20 22:18:04 1996
>Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:00:19 -0700
>From: tom renko <tahoetom-at-best-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: The 64k$ Question
>

>          Hi, Guys and Gals..............
>
>          I am building my second generation Tesla coil. My question
>          to you,who probably have a lot of experience with this, is:
>
>          What type of spark gap would you recomend for the following
>          Tesla coil (ie. airblast, series w/air,etc.) I will experiment
>          with everythig else, but I really don't want to waste a lot of
>          time with this element.........

Not to be too presumptuous, but this happens to be THE most important part
of a non-solid-state Tesla Coil.  This is, in fact, where one does the most
experimenting.  For instance: I have an almost identical setup, save the
secondary, and experimented with many configurations.  I noticed that when I
switched from a single, or even double, series interrupt to a
magnetically-extinguished gap, output almost tripled in length and doubled
in quantity.  Be sure you pay respect to "the gap". :)

>          Xfmr: Two 15kv neons in parralell (60 m.amp ea.)
>          Cap: 20kv, .025 mfd (CP unit), due in one week
>          Primary : 14 turns, 3/8 copper, 30 deg. spiral
>          Secondary: 6" acrylic, 22 ga. magnet wire, 875 turns
>          Chokes: "Winging it" (maybe recent TCBOR, D.C. Cox ???)
>
>          Any help on the spark gap issue would be most appreciated.
>          I should throw the switch in about two weeks,and will be
>          eager to share my results with you......
>
>          Tom Renko  (The Amp Man)

 Chad Alan Madison                      \   /     \
 BSEE Undergraduate Student              \ /  \   /
 University of Texas at Austin            \  /  //
 Member: Tesla Coil Society                \/  \/
 http://www.flash-dot-net/~chadwick/           ||  ||
                                           _______
                                          ////|\\\\
                                          \\\\|////