[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube question

>It's now really an irrelavant point now since someone else bought them at the
>auction, but would they have been good for TC work?

Thyratrons are supposedly too slow to work as switches of AC much beyond
1000hz or so- but I cannot personally vouch for this.  Tell me that
something is impossible to do and ....   Its not the turn-on time, but the
turn-off recovery time which is to blame.  Then once turned on Thyratron
acts like an SCR and current doesn't stop until applied voltage goes to
zero.

There is a device called the hydrogen thyratron that can be used for
switching short pulses, but I have never seen one on the surplus market.

Best regards, Rob.