[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Final Capacitor Test Results

Tesla List wrote:

> >From Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-comWed Jun 12 21:01:50 1996
> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:40:49 -0400
> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Final Capacitor Test Results
>
><Large Snip>
>
> Why did it fail?  Too much voltage or just too much total power?  This cap
> was only rated at 15kv.  This is 15kv Tesla coil service.  They knew my
> supply was a 14,400 volt pole pig.  Do I need to order a 20 or 25kv capacitor
> next time?
>
> Sorry this was so long.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Hi, All;

I'm normally a lurker, being a definite novice at Tesla Coiling, but I had to respond
to this one. I'm just a technician, but I attended the Institute of Electronic
Sciences at Texas A&M (yes, I'm an AGGIE) where they taught us that any critical
component should be overrated by at least 50 percent. And they weren't even talking
about Tesla works! The possible reflective voltages and harmonics and currents would
entice *me* to overrate by 100 percent. That is through my lack of knowledge and fear
of what these things could do to a very expensive piece of equipment. I'm guessing
that the tank had a property that threw too much of one or the other parameter at your
cap. I'm really sorry to hear of this, but, on the other hand, if they knew that you
had a 14,400 pole pig, they should have warned you themselves. I'd be angry (probably
unjustifiably).

Anyway, better luck in the future.

--
Rick Holland