[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor test results

Well, I finally got my capacitor back from Condenser Products yesterday.
 Last night I set up a bench test using a 120 volt 10 amp variac, 12kv 30 ma
neon transformer, my high voltage filter board, the capacitor and a
cylindrical spark gap.  The high voltage mains from the filter board were
connected directly to the capacitor.  One half of the cylindrical gap was
connected directly across the capacitor (three .030 gaps).

The gaps would not fire.  I noticed a slight buzzing from my filter caps
(which has probably always been there but masked by the noise from the gaps
firing and the coil running).  I disconnected the filter caps and tried it
again, still the gaps would not fire.

Next I shorted one gap so there was only two .030 gaps in series.  It still
would not fire.

Then I removed the filter board entirely.  Now the transformer was connected
directly to the capacitor.  It still would not fire.

Then I removed one more gap and now had only one .030 gap across the
capacitor.  I did finally fire now but sounded weak.  Definitely not the hot
staccato machine gun like noise that I remember from a couple of months ago
when all this started.

I tested the transformer several times during all of this and it seemed fine.
 I produces a hot arc about one to one and a half inches long.

Anybody have any ideas?  I know C.P. just tested this cap and pronunced it
good, but it sure doesn't look good to me.

Ed Sonderman