[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid State - progress.

>Using the "zero-voltage-switching" of mosfets, its should be possible
>to obtain drastically more power out of my setup.

0 Voltage switching is great for forward converters only.
The main disadvantages of this method are
1. your not driving your secondary with a sine wave.
   so you loose power to the harmonics.
2. your fets need to be rated at 2-3 vin at least.

Im currently working on a small push-pull setup  150KHz
I get 2-3 inch arcs with 5-6 amps at 20VDC

My plan is to use the output of my push-pull transformer to drive
a tuned (150Khz) L-C filter tied to ground. This L-C circuit will then drive
the
primary of my tesla coil magnifier style.

With the secondary under a load the L will limit the current.
With no load the Q of the L-C circuit will go high and drive
the primary voltage through the roof.

Paul Harriman EE