[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pspice model of Tesla Coil

Hi everyone

I am trying to model a Tesla coil using Pspice.  To start with, I
thought I'd try and model the lumped circuit as you would see in any
schematic and see what I got.  While I seem to be getting vaguely
believable waveforms, the secondary voltage and current magnitudes
seem way off (approx 10kV and 200mA peak respectively).

Has anyone else tried this, or could anyone look at my source code
below and tell me what I might need to do to get more beleivable
results.  Is Pspice capable of modeling this accurately?????

Tesla Test
*
* Switch Model
*
.MODEL		GAP	Vswitch	(RON=.01	ROFF=1E6 VON=1	VOFF=0)
S1		3	0	5	0	GAP
*
* Primary Component Parameters
*
CP		3	4	0.0133uF
LP		4	10	41uH
RP		10	0	5.41R

*
* Secondary Component Parameters
*
CS		7	0	17pF
LS		6	0	38.2mH
RS		6	7	5.54k
*
* Coupling Coefficient Between LP and LS
*
KPRIM_SEC	LP	LS	.15

*
* Neon Transformer Parameters
*
L_SERIES_TX	1	2	750H
R_SERIES_TX	2	3	7.5k
;L_PARALLEL_TX	1	0	15000H
;R_PARALLEL_TX	1	0	12.65M
*
* Neon Transformer Supply Voltage
*
V_SUPPLY	1	0	SIN(0 15000 50 0)
*
*Switch Control Voltage
*
V_PULSE		5	0	PULSE (0 1 10ms 0 0 8us 10ms)
*
* Output Commands
*
.TRAN		0.05ms	100ms
.PROBE
.END

All values are from measurements of my coil, except Rp and Rs for
which I have assumed a Q of 10 for the primary and secondary and used
this as a basis to calculate Rp and Rs to take into account losses due to the
spark gap and arcing from the secondary.  I've left the coreloss and
magnetising components out of the neon transformer equivqlent model since Pspice
didn't seem to like it (and since their values Rc and Xm were so
comparatively large, I felt they could be ignored).  I used a switch
in place of the spark gap and used a control voltage to turn it on
and off approx once per half 50Hz cycle.  Cs includes my toroid on
the top of the secondary.

Any comments / ideas will be greatfully received

Regards

Richard