[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Mathematical struggle

All,

In researching some info on magnetic fields and Maxwellian displacement
currents in American Journal of Physics, (the article was loaded with
math), I noted that the author included a nice little quote from T.H.
Huxley.  In light of the modeling problems mentioned occasionally on
this list; I though I might pass it on, for it speaks volumes.

"Mathematics may be compared to a mill of exquisite workmanship which
grinds you stuff of any degree of fineness; but nevertheless, what you
get out depends on what you put in; and as the grandest mill in the world
will not extract wheat-flour from peascod, so pages of formulae will not
get a definite result out of loose data."

'Nuff said!

Richard Hull, TCBOR