[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Secondary Electrostatic Charge

>I think you are experiencing dielectric memory. The general rule I
>apply to capacitors is : _never_ assume the cap is fully discharged
>just because you have discharged it. A safe capacitor is one with
>a short applied to its terminals. I have been bitten more than once
>like this. What seems to happen is that the stressed dielectric slowly
>unstresses over a period of time.
>
>Malcolm

Malcolm,

I have experienced it also.  I think it is a charge stored in the secondary
plastic form or the coating over the wire.  My capacitor is connected in
series with the primary (spark gaps across the HV mains) so the capacitor
should be shorted when the system is turned off,  through the HV transformer
secondary and the low resistance primary.

Ed Sonderman