[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bumping above 40%

>>From mrbarton-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com Thu Mar 21 01:19 MST 1996
Mark,
	Thank you for the reply.
>Jim,
>
>If the bumping you are referring to is the same thing I have
>experienced at higher power levels, the explanation is a simple one.
>You are drawing power arcs.  That is, the gap is doing a poor job of
>quenching at high power levels and the transformer is briefly arcing
>through the primary system.
>
>You can try a number of things:
>Increase the gap size.
>Change to a more sophisticated gap (sectioned and/or rotary).

Tonight, I added a "blown gap" in series with my 12 gap cylindrical
gap. NO DIFFERENCE. I did have a dozen,or so,  simultaneous air
discharges off my new toroid:)
But no difference in the bumping, over 100%.

>Add inductance and/or resistance to the low voltage side of the
>transformer.
>Play with the coupling.  Sometimes that fixes it.
I had to raise my secondary 1.5" to prevent it from braking down.

>Richard Hull recommends running with a small amount of resistance in
>the mains circuit.  He claims it "smooths out the rough spots" in the
>coil's performance.  By this I'm sure he means those bumpies.
>
>Zap, rumble, rumble :)
>Mark
I'm running 2.25K -at- 100W resistors in series with my secondary. It may
have caused the bumpies, but it sure has lowered the safety gap firing
rate!

	jim