[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV PFC Capacitance ?

> From: brad.alheim-at-the-spa-dot-com
> Subject: HV PFC Capacitance ?
> To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>
> Does anyone know what range of capacitance power factor correction
> capacitors are as used on HV lines ?  If in the correct capacitance
> range, would these be useful as TC caps ? They should handle the
> AC current, and may make life a little easier in accumulating parts
> for building a coil. If lucky maybe I can get a couple of the newer
> film types.
> A friend of a friend works for a local power company, and I am
> going to try procure a couple of 14.4 pigs and maybe caps. if they
> are useful. I haven't seen any values marked on the caps, and don't
> want to get any PCB oil types if they won't be useful. Much of the
> power around here is being upgraded to higher voltage from 14,400,
> this may be an advantage-

You won't find capacitance values marked on these.  They are rated
in so many KVARs of correction at a specific voltage.  They can
range anywhere from 5 KVAR on up to monster 2000 KVAR units. You
can do the math to give you a general idea of the capacitance or
just take along a multimeter and measure.  I haven't heard of anybody
here using them.

-Mike McCarty