[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

relay, etc...

Per usual, i could be wrong:

>What is the difference between a relay, a contactor, and a motor starting
>relay?
	Size, mostly.

	'relay' is generic for 'magnetically operated switch'.

	'Contactor' is a BIG relay.

	"Motor Starting relay', i get a little phuzzy on, but typically
	LARGE, usually has built in overload protection, typically set up
	to handle the large starting currents of a large motor.  May come
	with its own mounting box, with pushbuttons, and or be specially
	wired for emote puch button control.

>I ask this because I was ready to buy a motor starting relay that
>I thought would have worked just fine for my Tesla coil control
>cabinet (proper voltage and current ratings), but the person who was
>selling it said that it would not be possible to use it as a simple high
>current relay, and that I really needed a regular relay.
	Can't think why he thought that, except the overload protection, maybe
	he thought that would be a problem.

	Did he offer an explanation?

	(and some folk simply don't want to sell something for an application
	they do not understand, for fear of 'problems'.)

	regards
	dwp