[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More power

Hi Ed,

This isn't Richard, but I thought I'd jump in anyway.  I think I can answer
both questions,

> In my quest to peak out my system, I have mentioned that I am going to
> rebuild my RF ground (once more!) and reconnect all my primary components
> with 3/8" copper tubing.  I was thinking that I have more voltage potential
> that I have not used.  The Powerstat variac is capable of putting out more
> than the 240 in.  I have not used that option yet.
>
> I have two questions:  What connections are used for this feature?  I think
> the terminals on the variac are numbered 1 - 5.  What is the maximum voltage,
> I heard someone say 280 volts, is this correct?  With 280 volts in, at 60 :
> 1, I would have 16,800 volts out.  Will this smoke my 15 KV Condenser
> Products capacitor?

To get the 280 VAC out of the Powerstat, you need to connect your supply across
terminals 1 and 2.  You should now be on terminals 1 and 4 for 240 VAC out.

Will the 15 KV unit survive at 16,400 VAC.  You know as I do that they really
put these things throught the wringer at CP.  However, they are rated for
15 KV AC RMS.  I'm sure that they will take a little more.  How much more?  Well,
thats some risky business.  One thing to consider.  With your spark gaps running
and the voltage drop it produces, do you think you can get to 15 KV AC?

What do you think Richard?

Scotty