[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wireless Power

 * Original msg to: Wl-god-tw-at-society-dot-com

Quoting wl-god-tw-at-society-dot-com:

> I am a little unsure of how wireless power works.  This is my
> current understanding:  The discharge terminal is moved away
> from the terminal capacitor (ex. toroid) until no spark is
> created.  Then the energy is forced down into ground.

Not exactly. The discharge terminal and the terminal capacitance
are the same item, ie: a toroid. The size of the toroid is
increased until the system is no longer able to produce a
spontaneous spark discharge.

> A pick-up coil recieves this energy from the ground, not the
> air.

Correct.

> This is why you can't connect the pickup to the same ground as
> you connect the secondary to.

The pickup can be connected to the same ground. It may be
directly wired together at the ground potential (system RF
ground), but it does not have to be...

> If this is the case, what type of RFI, if any is created and
> does this amount vary with the tuning of the coil.

RFI (radio frequency interference) is produced from the coil and
the highly energized discharger. The system is still processing
huge amounts of power, it is simply prevented from consuming the
power as visible sparks. Most of the energy processed goes to
ground, but radiation is a byproduct from this line of
experimentation.

> Secondly, would this power x-mission be stopped with a faraday
> cage, or not and how is a faraday cage built.

Wireless power transmission is not stopped by a Faraday cage. The
ground currents pass right through it. RFI is stopped by a
Faraday enclosure.

> Lastly is it illegal to do this because of FCC regulations or
> is it not affected by these regulations.

Any spurious broadcasts would most likely be in violation of the
FCC. This means that measures should be taken to prevent RFI (a
Faraday cage is highly recommended). If the cage is sizable, it
will not interfere in effective wireless power experiments.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12