[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fire in the hole!

>>From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com Sat Mar  2 01:18 MST 1996
>Date: Fri, 1 Mar 96 23:00 PST
>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>From: jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com (jim fosse)
>Subject: Re: Fire in the hole!
>
>[snip]
>>Last weekend burglars kicked in my front door :(  and stole some stereo
>>stuff, but fortunately they weren't interested in coiling stuff.
>>
>my sympathy
>
>>Anyway, I had to repair the front door, and I installed massive steel door
>>jambs to prevent "kick-ins".  While I was at it, I decided to reinforce all
>>my doors, including the one into the garage.
>>
>>So what has my misfortune got to do with Tesla coils?  Bear with me.
>>[snip]
>>  How ferocious?  It had completely charred the whole corner of
>>the door!  I am very lucky I did not have a full blown fire.
>>
>awesome, scary ...
>
>>Moral?  Check any doors in the vicinity of your coils for bronze weather
>>strips running around the door.  Look for any other conductors which can
>>form large loops (guys, got any suggestions on what else to look for???)
>>
>>Conductive loops make very good Tesla receivers and if you have gaps in the
>>loop it can cause a fire.  I know, because I just sawed off the bottom of
>>this door where it was burned.
>>
>>Stay safe!
>>
>>Bert
>>
>Bert,
>        your problem is: you are turning the TC off when you leave, not ON.
>

>                  jim

Jim, that made me grin!  I needed that.  As a coiler, I of course have
thought that a big coil would make one heck of a deterrent.  I'm going to
settle for doing a special fence charger thing on the windows.  It's not
lethal, and everyone hates getting shocked.  If it'll deter a bull, it will
likely deter a burglar.  At least I hope so.

Bert