[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor For Trade (or sale)

tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com On Wed, 20 Mar 1996 13:31:02 +0700, you
wrote:

>>From paynet-at-interaccess-dot-com Tue Mar 19 20:17 MST 1996
>Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 21:09:25 -0600
>To: hvlist-at-Anchorage.ab.umd.edu, tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>From: paynet-at-interaccess-dot-com (Tedd Payne)
>Subject: Capacitor For Trade (or sale)
>
>I have a capacitor for which I have no specific use, so I'm interested in
>trading it for something I could use for my first Tesla coil (or I guess I'd
>sell it if no one offers to trade).
>
>My capacitor:
>- maker:  Palstic Capacitors Inc.
>- rating on can:  .05uF -at- 25KVDCW
>- condition:  visually good, I have no way of testing (assumed OK)
>insulator on top, and approx. 1.5" aluminum ball electrode on top of that.
>- part number(?):  LK250-503ND
>
>I don't know if this has any Tesla use.
>
>Based on the 12KV/30MA neon transformer I plan to use, I think I need about
>a .006uF (& appropriate voltage) cap.  If someone has such a cap for trade
>(or sale) I'd like to know.
>
>Any offers?
>
>Thanks,
>Tedd Payne

Tedd,
	KEEP IT! they are not as good as a Condenser Cap. cap for
tesla applications, but they are better than most of use could ever
hope to find!

---------------------from: Plastic Capacitors, Inc. catalog ----------

Type LK-ND
Energy Storage-Discharge

Type LK-ND CAPACITORS are designed primarily for energy
storage/discharge application fo high current discharges at low
repetitions rates.  This generally means 30 shots per minute or less.
Itt is advisable to consult our Engineering Staff with you specific
application.

APPLICATIONS for this type of capacitor include: Pulse X-ray; Photo
flash; Laser Pumping; Pulse-forming networks; High Intensity strobe or
any other use where high current pulses are to be required or, under
fault conditions in the equipment, may be infrequently expected.

CONSTRUCTION  of the capacitor is similar to that of MIL-Cl19979; NOT
QPL LISTED it uses a CP70 style military can  and is hermetically
sealed. All high voltage terminals are of the solder-seal variety;
this is an advantage in that it eliminates gasket failure of the
hermetic gaskets age and deteriorate. Internally. the individual
capacitor elements are wound using extended foil (low inductance)
design and the elements are connected to the brass terminal stud with
heavy copper braid.

THE IMPREGNANT used in this series is an environmentally safe mineral
oil, with a flash point greater than 145 (degrees) C. It is classified
by U.S. O.S.H.A. (to many . jim) as a "Class III b combustible" ( see
29CFR1910.106.a. 18.ii.b), which is the highest rating for any liquid
that can, somehow, be made to burn. NOTE: for specialized
applications, even higher temperature impregnates can be used.

I'll summarize from now on - jim

Temp:	-55c to 85C

Tolerance: +- 10%

Dielectric resistance: see page A9 ( about 5 * 10^3 megohms at 20C)

Dissipation factor:	0.005 at 100Hz, 25C

ESR	dissipation factor x capacitive reactance.

Inductance: consult factory.

Acceptance tests: 100% tested. TEST VOLTAGE: 200% of rated voltage
thru 20KV, 150% over 20KV.

The second page just list the dimensions.

	hope this helps

	jim