[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary Coil Electrostatic Charge

> I think there is more to it than the damp wave.  That may explain a dc
> potential on the toroid but it fails in another area as regards charge
> collection on non-dielectric objects.  It also limits the DC transfer
> potential if the case is strickly observed.  i.e. when the next ring down
> or impulse of energy occurs the charge should be knocked off and a
> new charge impressed.  Our group has done some work that shows
> this charge is additive and collected to the point of break down,  It
> relates to the terminal size,  energy input and a number of other
> factors.  The final brek down seems to occur when one of the energy
> bursts finally adds to the net system charge and the air
> catastrophically breaks down.  We are looking into this now.  RF
> may have very little or nothing to do with certain forms of Tesla
> discharge.

Could charged particle mass/mobility also contribute to this affect?
One of the first things we learned in EE is that even though current is
defined like it's the protons that make it all happen, thatt's simply a
convention and it's really the electrons that are flowing.  Given that an
electron's mass is a few orders of magnitude smaller than a that of a
proton, it would seem reasonable that the electrons would be much
easier to "project" so that a negative charge would be more likely to
accumulate on an object?  Have the DC charges you measured been
positive or negative?

Along the same lines, is the discharge from a Tesla coil essentially
electrons or does it cycle between electrons and protons?  I had
assumed that it was essentially electrons and that, again, the protons
were relatively immobile.

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)