[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary Coil Design

All,

It is often said that one should keep the tank circuit hookups as short
as possible. However, in a past TC design I noticed the metal parts
(capacitor housing & spark gap motor) getting hot. I attributed this
effect to inductive heating due to the close proximity of the parts to
the primary coil. Now Im redesigning the coil (This Old Tesla Coil -
www.ddlabs-dot-com/tesla.html) and wish to separate the flat spiral primary
from the rest of the tank circuit. Whats a reasonable distance?

Also, I using a 3D rendering program to prototype the physical
construction of this coil. This will allow me to better communicate with
the other people involved in this project. I have posted one of the
renderings on the This Old Tesla Coil web site mentioned above.

...Jeff