[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Voltage

> 	I was just wondering if anyone has attempted to use a
> parallel charge, series discharge of caps in there Tesla coil.  It
> seems possible to use a number of spark gaps, with increasing
> breakdown voltages, to produce an increase in applied voltage.
>
> 	---------------I------------------I------------------I------o
> 	  |     \             |     \            |    \
> 	  |      \	      |      \           |     \
>   	-----     o        -----      o       -----     o
> 	-----      o       -----       o      -----      o
> 	  |          \        |         \        |         \
> 	  |           \       |          \       |          \
>             ---------I--------------------I-----------------I-----------o
>
> 	If say, we used a 5kv input, then the first gap could be set to
> fire at 5kv, the second at 10kv, the third at 15kv, and the final gap, or
> traditional spark gat set to 20kv.  Would this not appear t
 at we
> input 20kv and not 5kv.  It seems logical, but has any one tried it?

This is known as a Marx generator and can be used to produce very
high voltage DC pulses (I saw one reference for an 80-stage generator
where the final output could be as high as 5MV using a 35kV input).

NOTE: There should also be some inductors (shown in the above
drawing as I's) to prevent the shorting of the capacitors at the beginning
of the pulse discharge.

There are two ways to trigger the output.  First, all gaps can be set for
the same breakdown voltage (which exceeds the charging voltage) and
the first gap can be electronically triggered.  Alternatively, all the gaps
except the first can be set for the same breakdown voltage (again which
would be higher than the charging voltage) and the first gap would be
set for a discharge voltage slightly lower than the charging voltage so
that breakdown occurrs spontaneously when the capacitors are charged
to a high enough voltage.  Regardless of the trigger mechanism, when
the first gap fires, the high voltage would propagate down the line and
trigger the rest of the gaps in turn.

I don't know if this has been used in a Tesla coil, but you could get very
high voltage, probably relatively low rep-rate DC pulses from this
setup.

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)