[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Stuff

Thanks for the sign up.  I appreciate it.  I'll try and keep up with you
guys.

 The hottest flash from this end is that we have broken our own record of 7
times the resonator winding length in output spark!  On  9 march using
magnifier #11-E we used a 4" diameter resonator that was wound with #30
Kynar insulated wire-wrap/backplane wire  to an overall length of 12" and
tapped sparks out to 118"!  Wow!  That's 9.8 times the winding length in
output spark.   We always measure our sparks as a plumb or perfect straight
line from the point of origin to the point of impact!  This is the only
honest way they should be measured, we think! The power level was a
respectable 6KW and, yes, the resonator got so hot that the insulation
softened a bit, but that was after a 5 minute continuous run at that power.
 The tank capacitor was only .03ufd.  Of course, the bulk of the sparks are
all at least 7 times the winding length with over 20% of them over 8 times
the winding length.  We recorded on film and video a total of 6 sparks
visually verifiable to beyond 9 times the winding length.  I t has more to
do with space limitations than coil or system limits.  I doubt that a two
coil system could do this.  I know we have beat ole nick at this game!  In
Colorado he never claimed staright line arcs over 4-5 times his resonator
length.

Naturally, I have all of this on video and on still photographs.  I have
issued a couple of two page blurbs on this stunning performance.  Needless
to say, it will be covered in our  Tape report  #52.

I use PC's (DOS machines)  mostly at work and at home for Robotics work, but
use and prefer only the Amiga for my video production work and all desktop
publishing, as it far surpasses the Kludged up DOS/Windows machines in this
area.  Therefore, I have all my image files in the standard Amiga IFF
format.