[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GE X-Ray Power Supply

>>From rmp-at-sunman.mlb.semi.harris-dot-com Tue Mar 26 09:17 MST 1996
>Date: Tue, 26 Mar 96 10:59:24 EST
>From: rmp-at-sunman.mlb.semi.harris-dot-com (Russ Pate)
>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>Subject: GE X-Ray Power Supply
>Cc: rmp-at-sunman.mlb.semi.harris-dot-com
>

>Hi Chip,
>
>I recently came across what appears to be a high voltage
>tuned power supply for an old 1930's X-ray machine.
>
>It is a GE model 8 "Inductotherm" with two knobs, on apparently
>controls the power or voltage and the other tunes the output
>which appears to be some type of tank circuit.  The latter knob
>turns a variable capacitor.  The supply is rated 12 amps at 120
>or 220 Volts.
>
>Is this of interest to anyone in the tesla community?
>
>The tag also says "do not use near any conductive materials"
>
>The cords are obviously high voltage, about the size of a
>garden hose.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Russ Pate
>
>[ It sounds like it could be used as a CW driver for a coil.  Comments
>  anyone?  -- Chip ]

Ignore my last message. What this unit is is a induction heater. You
usually have a air wound coil out of heavy copper bar that surrounds the
piece of metal you want to heat. You adjust the capacitance to mach the
inductance of the coil and heat thing up. I have seen these used in the
production of vacuum tubes where they want to heat the getter or other
parts after the tube has been sealed. Also these are used in production
heating unit for brazing, soldering. One other use is heating bearing
before installing onto a shaft. Still, I see no reason why it couldnt be
used with a TC.

     Jerry Biehler, 360 S.E. Edwards St, Dundee, Or, 97115 (503) 537-2638
     jbiehler-at-teleport-dot-com    http://www.teleport-dot-com/~jbiehler
"Waking up early is not a virtue. The old saw about the early bird just
goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed. -- Robert A. Heinlein
              -Windows '95, the best thing since New Coke.-