[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor buy <PRICES???>

Woops!  I did forget to mention prices on the capacitors.  Here are a couple
of questions asked and a point made that I address.  I have also included
the proposed capacitor's specifications.

--------------------------------

--------------------------------

> You forgot to mention price(s) for the benefit of those of us who were
> not around for the first capacitor group purchase.

--------------------------------

The capacitors were bought for just under $200 each for the .025 uF -at- 20 KV
units.  These are commercially made units by Condenser Products.  They will
take a full 20 KV AC RMS from the transformer in the tank circuit without
failure.  They also do not drift in value, unlike homemade units.  A 1 year
warranty is on these units too.  Please don't take this as an insult, but I
seriously doubt that your homemade units that are up to the specifications
of these capacitors.  I have 2 of them now and the performance is astounding.  If
you made a "Hull" capacitor (Your price sounds about right), the voltage rating
is nowhere near these commercial unit's rating.  If you also consider the time
you spent building the caps, they really cost you more than buying a commercial
unit.  That is why I no longer build my own, except for very small ones.

Using 2 of these units in a balanced tank circuit with a 6" diameter secondary,
I am getting 5' discharges with only 1350 VA input power.  While not all of the
efficiency is attributed to these caps, a high percentage of it is.  One point
is certain, these capacitor are real performers and WILL DEFINITELY SURVIVE in a
tank circuit without worry.  Their performance and dependability is well beyound
that of homebrew capacitors.

Here are the specifications that I gave a while back:

Modified model TC253-34-300 Tesla tank cuircuit pulse discharge capacitor
20,000 VAC RMS
.025 uF
4-1/2" diameter x 13-1/2" long, not including stud length.
Studs protrude out the ends of the capacitor.  These studs are oversized on this
special order.  They will be 1/2"-13 x 1" long.  That gives these caps an current
peak capability of 120,000 Amps, as opposed to 65,000 for the standard unit.  Max
amperage RMS is 100 -at- 100 KHz.  All that can be read as VERY HIGH Q.  I can't
remember the internal inductance value, but I do recall that it was so small that
it wasn't worth even considering, let alone remembering.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
Scott Myers