[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid State

Greetings,

Pike asked about Solid State designs, I haven't been
able to find much, a couple of low power projects
on the net (through Bill Beatty's home page), Dyuane
Bylands book. I've ended up designing my own -
with excellent support from folks on the net. (Even so
it was not a wise choice for my first electronics
project in 15 years or so).

I looked at IGBT's but they are dear and the ones
I saw were slower than FET's - I'll build my 1MW
bridge as soon as they come down to a quid each.
(Sorry thats one pound UK - it was Churchill who
pointed out that the British and the Americans are
united by a common ocean and divided by a common
language.

Yup you will always for a long time to come get a
longer spark from a spark gap. You can't match the
peak power from a spark gap. But its still fun and there
are advantages - you can run it indoors (with the windows
open) very little interference to other appliciances.
(no effect on tv and computer - only the phone picks
up some noise). And you can get exciting results -
Mark Barton reported 3 feet of electrical flame with
his 10kw bride.

Pike the cores are available from Greenweld components
(UK) (on the net) up to 1" diameter 10 for L2 ($3)
up to 1/2" diameter 20 for L2. I'm sure you've better
surplus sources stateside.

Pike I got the attatchment - it came out fine thanks.
Thanks for the offer to test - its probably as easy
for me to rig up a bridge as to mail to US. I'll
get a few on spec though.

Malcolm wrote:
>That'd be the EFD (extra flat design) cores yes? Ungapped, they
>have quite a high initial permeability so you don't need a huge
>number of turns to generate switchmode type inductances.
I'll look at these again Malcolm thanks - be great if I could
get away with a 3 turn primary (I've put on 20 at the moment).

Have fun,

Alan Sharp (UK)