[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: question about weak arc

Steve,

I would definitely investigate other types of caps.  You can try the
rolled capacitors (instructions/info available at ftp.funet.fi in
/pub/sci/electrical/tesla), or stacked/flat caps.  I personally have had
much better luck with the rolled caps -- No failures at 15kV.
I was using 1/4 plate glass shelving initially.  When these tempered
glass plates punctured, glass "popcorn" shot out the sides of the cap and
everything shutdown.  Like bad documentation, glass plate caps are

Another note.  When I bought the materials for the rolled caps, the lowest
common denominator was the materials for 3 caps. (The flashing came in
50' rolls, the 60mil PE was 4'x8' (enough for 1.5 caps)).  If you have a
friend that you can go in together with to buy the materials, you will be
able to save some $.

Chip