[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: uWave xformers

> I am just about at the point where I will do exactly that. I plan to
> switch to uWave transformers. The basic plan is to use a couple
> back-
> to-back (more paralleled if needed) and rectify them and use a
> charging choke to boost the output. I suppose fundamentally there's
> not much difference between that and using high inductance
> transformers. But I think it would be more controllable.

I don't know what kind of current you're going to be needing, but
microwave transformers probably won't need to be paralleled for higher
current, and you will need current limiting to use them.  I was going to
wire four 4kV units up a few years ago as two paralleled sets of series
connected units.  After I wired two up in series for 8kV, I decided to see
what just the one pair would do.  When I was drawing an arc, they were
pulling about 70A from the wall!  Needless to say, my 20A breaker
didn't take that for long.

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)