[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifier system

Greetings,

A little while ago I wrote asking about the TC magnifier configuration
since I was admittedly quite ignorant of ever seeing this setup! :) Thanks
for everyone's patience.

I appreciated the replies, especially from Richard Hull and Kristian
Ukkonen, that gave me some understanding of how the magnifier system works.
Now I have the opportunity to do a short paper in one of my classes on a
topic of my choice, so I chose TC coils and TC magnifiers in the hope of
learning more.

Could someone please point me to some good references on TC magnifiers?
(References that explain thoroughly and don't skimp on the mathematical
theory either).

One thing I'm still confused about is, does the magnifier produce a maximum
output at a resonant frequency where the coil's self-inductance and
self-capacitance cancel (as with a series RLC circuit) to give minimum
impedance? I want to clarify this since I thought the resonant frequency of
a "standard" TC setup was determined by the 1/4 wavelength of the secondary
coil (to produce maximum voltage at the top of the coil in a standing wave
fashion) which is not based on the coil's capacitance and inductance. Is
this where the Q factor comes in, in that resonant frequency is the 1/4
wavelength for the standard setup, but that a coil built such that the L
and the C cancel each other as much as possible is most ideal?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Detweiler