[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Simple DC starter stuff

> Welcome back to coiling! The very first coil I built was much like
> yours, almost 40 years ago :^( , only with a cardboard former. I don't
> know if they'd even invented PVC way back then... :^).  It turns out
> that you have tremendous latitude in re-building your coil. Its only
> when want to push higher power levels, voltages, or efficiencies that
> the "design rules" start to become more restrictive.
>
> Lets cover the basic areas, and throw in minimal design considerations.
> The major areas areas and cover them in a little more detail:
>
>  1. HV Supply
>  2. Tank Capacitor
>  3. Primary Coil
>  4. Secondary Coil (Resonator)
>  5. Discharger
>  6. Spark gap

> Safe coilin' to ya!
>
> -- Bert --

Thanks dude!         I appreciate the copious info!

Could I clarify a couple of points?

 - My orriginal CAP was constructed using silicone rubber as the sealant
/ glue to hold it all together, is this still the best option? (for this
power range)

 - The spark gap you mentioned, do I read that correctly that the
sections of copper pipe should be parallel? thus the spark should leap
from rounded surface to rounded surface, do I need to worry about the
cutoff edges?

 - What is the best way to connect the secondary to the toroid,
specifically, the transition from the coil to the physical connection to
the torroid; should I avoid tight bends or crimps? Is connection to the
center of the torroid prefferable to the edge directly above the top of
the last winding of the secondary?

ok so it was more than a couple.....   thanks