[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Real data from real experiments.

Brent,
       There is an even better reason to use high Vcap, low-C in a
primary....

<masssive snip>
> No charge is actually 'lost' - rather, it is simply re-distributed.
> The total stored potential energy is reduced though, according to the
> square of the voltage. Seems to me that this is exactly the reason why
> we use small value capacitors with a heaping amount of very high voltage
> in the primary circuit!

Example : let bang size = E, cap = C, primary = L. Surge impedance =
SQRT(L/C), peak current inversely proportional to surge impedance
and gap loss proportional to Ipk.

Let's double our surge impedance by halving C and doubling L (same
frequency) and keep bang size up by increasing voltage to compensate
for a drop in C.
We now have Z surge = 2x original, V = SQRT2 x original voltage (keep
E constant) giving current decreased by SQRT2, gap losses therefore
reduced by SQRT2.
    Okay, this all needs the appropriate calculus done to truly
quantify peak values etc. but I think you can see the benefit
attainable.

Think I got that all right but stand to be corrected as usual,
Malcolm