[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Subject:Glass enclosedgaps.

 Also did experiments with a low pressure spark gap (glass tube enclosed spark
 gap evacuated to approx. 100 mm Hg (100 torr) and found that a small Tesla
 coil can oscillate when the input voltage is approx. 1KV.  Secondary output
 is weak, but it works for energizing discharge tubes.

Tim; I've often pondered the possibility of of using low pressure gaps
for use as spark gaps and or safety gaps. I'm curious as to what sort of
material was used for the electrodes? Where they commercially built or
or homemade? The advantage seems to be that by varying the pressure, one
could dial in the voltage at which the gaps fire, possibly on the fly.
Given current limitations, they could be ganged up, (like resistors,)
and tied to a common manifold so as to have identical pressure, i.e.
firing charactoristics. Anybody have any info, ideas on this?

Daniel.