[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tungsten vs. Tungsten Carbide

>>From mycrump-at-concentric-dot-netSat Nov 23 20:07:58 1996
>Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 20:10:01 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Daryl P. Dacko" <mycrump-at-concentric-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Tungsten vs. Tungsten Carbide

>I spent several hours today playing around with my arc lamp
>power supply and some tungsten rod and a tungsten carbide lathe
>insert to see which faired better in a torture test.

<snip>

>These carbide tips look better all the time !

>Has anyone else tryed carbide tips in a rotary ?

>Daryl

Daryl, All,

I employ tungsten carbide tips brazed to 1/4 inch steel mounting
shafts as the stationary electrodes in the rotary gap for my MTC
system.  The pad surfaces are about 3/8ths inch square each and
radiussed to best fit the travel of the 1/8th inch thoriated tungsten
rods that fly by on the disk.  I employ a 6.5 amp Lamb vacuum cleaner
blower with a nozzle directed at each pad to assist in cooling the
pads below the melting point of the brazing and also for improved
quenching.  This system works faultlessly at 7 kVa.  The exact same
system previously has had high carbon steel, and also brass stationary
electrodes and would literally eat them in just three minutes of run
time.  I have perhaps 15 minutes run time on the new setup and see no
detectable wear yet on either the flying tig tunsten electrodes, or
the thoriated tungsten pads.  It seems apparent that part of the
trick to extending contact surface life, even with tungsten, is to keep them cool.

As a further note.  I employ the side of the flying tungsten rods,
not the end tips, as my contact surface.  This trick reduces the
current density of the arc and spreads out the wear for longer
electrode life.  If it is increasing the gap resistance a bit by
lowering the temperature of the plasma it hasn't hurt performance so
that I'd notice.  This sytem consitently delivers hot, white, 12 foot
streamers on just 7 kVa.  Note also that I  _ do not_  employ any
power robbing stationary series quench gaps in the MTC system.
The mini pig voltage is 12 kV RMS.  Cap size is 0.125 mfd.  The
peak primary current being switched by this rotary is indeed very high.
System energy is something like 17 Joules.

rwstephens