[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

Hi Group,
First I what to thank/compliment Chip for starting and maintaining a great
forum for these discussions.
Second I didn't think this topic would bring quit this much discussion. It
certainly doesn't help a TC operate any better (slightly off topic, sorry
Chip), but it very fasinating. One last thought in this area.
If we take an electron source in a vacuum, TC or TV picture tube without
the front, vacuum tube, etc, and direct the electrons at a conductor (metal
sphere, screen grid of a tube, what have ya). Doesn't the conductor begin
to collect the electrons? Where are these extra electrons? Are they moving
about in the space near the conductors surface?  Are they moving in the
conductor surface at all? It still seems to me we need both things to store
charge. That is two materials with different characteristics. Is there
charge all the way through a dielectric or does it diminish as you go into
the material? Maybe charge is in the first gnats eyebrow of the conductor.
I can image all materials as conductors, after all don't we measure the
leakage current of 'insulators'? They just aren't GOOD conductors.
Dave Huffman