Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:14:16 -0500
From: DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: 50%

<Big Snip>

<< For
 example, there is the famous "action-at-a-distance faster than c"
 problem. To my mind, it's possible that people forget that "particle"
 properties are correlated at the time the "particles" part company.
 Measuring the properties of one means we can know the properties of
 the other. Should there be any mystery that when we also measure the
 second "particle" we find that it indeed has the properties that
 measuring the first would suggest? >>

The mystery is not that the two particles have the same properties!

Situation: The spin of the particles before separation is measured (the
direction and speed of spin of the two is identical).  Then, the particles
are separated by a great distance and the spin of one of the particles is
altered (slowed down or even reversed)  The other particle, at a great
distance from the first will slow down or reverse its spin at *exactly* the
same time to *exactly* match the state of the other particle.  *No* time
delay occurs *at all*  to account for the information of the change in state
to travel the distance from the one particle to the other.

Two questions arise: How did the one particle "know" that the state of the
other had changed?  And, how did the information of the change of state
travel from one particle to the other instantaneously through "space" at
faster than the speed of light?  These are the mysteries, and intriguing ones
at that as they have vast philosophical implications as to the nature of
basic "reality."

What I should also add is that - as someone else pointed out

- space may not be quite so empty as most of us have here-to-fore
suspected.
 And this may have a direct bearing on the "where is the charge in a cap
stored anyway when its in a vacucum" question.

It strikes me that sometimes we may have to go to what seems
rather far afield in some areas so that we may once again return to the
questions at hand with newer more expanded understandings.

-DavidF-