[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More real experiments

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

> From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comTue Nov 12 22:35:46 1996
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:45:50 -0800
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: More real experiments

[snip]

Hi Richard,

> This showed up as the max voltage across the non-firing gap.  Firings at
> the gap showed a rather immediate fall to ~200 volts.  The  current
> transformer indicated a peak current in the system at this point of ~80
> amps.  Thus under the optimal conditions the gap had a lowest possible
> resisitance of 2.5 ohms. (The gaps were hardly making any noise!) For the

> instant of max turn on, the gap consumed 16,000 watts of peak energy.
> The peak tank energy in our little 15VA system would have been on the
> order of 160,000 watts. based on a 2KV firing point and 80 amp tank
> current.  10% losses figured this way.

I'm particularly interested in your V-gap versus I-primary measurements.
Unless I'm mistaken, these agree with what Malcolm has also seen....
Measurements on DC plasma arcs have similar behavior in the sense that the
gap voltge is relatively independent of current, but I'm not sure what time
constants might be involved. To wit:

 Is your time resolution good enough to see how the V-g follows I-P when
I-p is near zero ( as in a zero-crossing point)? If your scope can do a
waveform multiplication, can it also do a waveform division to deterimine
R-gap as a function of time ? Boy I'd really like to see that. What do you
think?

-Ed Harris

ps
look Chip, no philosophical disseration