[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What efficiency?!

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: What efficiency?!
>
> >From bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-comWed Nov  6 21:27:47 1996
> Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 06:55:31 -0800
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Cc: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: What efficiency?!
> Snip
>
> During series resonance, the secondary base current is 180 degrees out
> of phase with the toroid (capacitor) voltage. When we get the heaviest
> "leakage" current from  the streamers (at the secondary voltage peak)
> shoud correspond to the current minimum of the series LC. Again, since
> we're discharging primarily isotropic capacitance through the air while
> attempting to hit ground via the streamers, I'd expect very little
> direct correlation between streamer and secondary base current...
>
> -- Bert --

Bert,

I have harped on this little conundrum for a while now.  The current
increase with bigger toroids is obviously due mostly to the increased
base current in the resonator due to loading and thereby, the reduction
of the base impedance.  However, the flaming white arcs probably also
support a DC component as I have mentioned before similar to a VDG.  This
is the very thrust of my DC Tesla coil electrostatic investigations at
present.

Richard Hull, TCBOR