[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier system

Bert,
       I think the point you make about this explains something i've
been wondering about quite well.......

<lottsa snip>
> The Corums' open-circuit helical resonator model probably comes closest
> to modelling actual behavior. An unloaded helical resonator behaves very
> much like an open-circuit high-impedance transmission line driven at its
> 1/4 wave frequency. The amplitude of the voltage as we progress up the
> coil should increase approximately as the sine of the phase distance
> from the bottom, rising to a maximum at the top (90 degrees). Fully 50%
> of the output voltage is reached only 1/3 of the way up the coil! This
> certainly agrees with your statement that the maximum volts/turn
> gradient is at the base of the resonator. Similarly, the current
> amplitude should vary approximately as the cosine, with the maximum at
> the bottom, decreasing to 0 at the very top. However, fully 50% of the
> coil base current would still be present 2/3 of the way up the coil.
<oodles more snip>

It _is_ a distributed resonator (being << 1 wavelength long) and what
you suggest makes sense of that! Would I be correct in thinking that
the V.I product (phase angles accounted for) at any point is the same
for any other point? If so, the observation about 0.5I being present
2/3 of the way up makes sense and also supports Greg's view that the
M in the structure doesn't really count! So much for my turn-turn
induction idea :(

Malcolm