[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Double humpin'

All,

I get the impression that some of our folks think that you get a double
hump or spliting of frequencies at tight coupling.  Double humping only
occurs in spark systems when we exceed the point known as "critical
coupling".  critical coupling has only a little to do with
actual inductive coupling (about 50%)

If we throw a fixed gap of a fixed dwell/quench in a system, critcal
coupling occurs at some fixed coupling coefficient K=X.  If we have a
variable dwell/quench gap, and a fixed tight coupling, by varying the
dwell we can make the system go from  below critical coupling to well
beyond.  In short, critical coupling is a sliding point based on actual
inductive coupling and dwell/quench time of the gap's realizable
quenching ability.  In theory we can have a single frequency output (no
splitting) at k=.65.  This was the struggle in the early days of spark
transmitters in the 100KW-.5MW class.

Richard Hull,TCBOR