[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON DATA

>Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 01:56:00 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
>To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: NEON DATA
>

>Hi All,
>I made a few measurements on a Jefferson 15,000 volt, 60 mA
>neon sign transformer:
>Secondary resistance of terminal 1(near ground lug)        :  3.375 Megohm
>Secondary resistance of terminal 2(near 120V terminals):  4.2 Megohm
>Inductance:  meter went beserk.  Couldn't get a reading!

Berry,
	I smoked a Jefferson Electric 15kV 60mA neon 6 months ago and
took it apart. There is a tertiary winding on top of the primary with
an Aerovox 120-0708 P149F269 660VAC cap across it for power factor
correction.  Guaranteed to make the LCR meter go berserk.

[snip]
>Then I used Howe's method (page 453 of Radiotron Designers Handbook
>4'th edition) plotting C VS 1/Fsquared to find the self capacitance using
>the x intercept formula x = (x1y2 - x2y1)/(y2 - y1) where

thanks for the reference.

>Can this be done this way?  If not please correct me!
[snip]
>The hot end of this capacitor was also connected to
>a high voltage voltmeter with an input impedance of 1 Gigohm (Collmer
>Semiconductor, Inc, "Digital H.V. meter" Model # CS5190A1) to act as a
>peak reading DC voltmeter.  All high voltage DC measurements (HVDC)
>were made this way.  AC measurements (HVAC) were made with a Hipotronics
>high voltage probe (Model #: KVM-200D, part #: 45-125 (used the stack only))
>with a maximum frequency of 1Khz, an impedance of 750 Megohm, and a
>ratio of 2000 to 1.  The Hipotronics probe was connected to an oscilloscope.
>The ground side of the probe was connected to the grounded case of the
>transformer.  Measurements from the scope (1 Megohm, AC coupling)
>were made with automatic cursor lines with direct digital readout.

Drool, envy.  Can I come over and play in your lab;);)

I'll have to reformat the data to read it;( It's collumnization didn't
make it across the internet.

	jim