[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How far away is safe

Tesla List wrote:

> >From tesla-at-america-dot-comTue Nov 12 21:43:38 1996
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 96 06:46 EST
> From: Bob Schumann <tesla-at-america-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: How far away is safe
>
> First off, let me state I am using a good dedicated RF ground now!
>
> I have been wondering about an effect that happenes during my coil
> runs and believe it is attributed to human charge/capacitance but
> don't know for sure; hence this post.
>
> I can be 6 feet away from my coil during operation and get nippy
> shocks when I touch certain objects. I have a friend who was 8
> feet away and decided to turn off a table lamp and said he was shocked
> be the plastic on/off knob. When within the system's field, does a
> human aquire a charge or potential?
>
> thanks,
> Bob Schumann
>
> P.S. Got to meet one of the list members, Richard Wall, at a recent
> hamfest. A unique individual and the first I have met face to face from
> the group. (He pointed out a good variac sale :)

Bob,

My recent work indicates that the person can defintely acquire a DC
charge.  (actually it is the air dielectric about the rather conductive
person that is charged.)  In addition there are also RF concerns.  Metal
objects in high RF fields actually act as antennae and can cause RF burns
which appear as painful short spark nips or pinches as oppossed to the
classic DC electrostatic electrical shock.  It depends on what you feel
as to what is the real causitive agent involved.  The DC charge lingers
after firing.  The RF goes away.

Richard Hull,TCBOR