[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More capaciter Questions

Hi all,
	I have been reading the posts of this group for the past month or
two and have really enjoyed the insights offered (even though I must
admit that I understand about 1/2 of what is said).  I have also been
amazed as to the understanding and knowlege that many of you have
concerning tesla coils. Wow.  :-()
	I teach math and science to grades 5 - 10 and so I became
interested in a tesla coil that I could build to use for demonstrations
and experiments in my classroom.
	I kind of feel silly asking such simple questions but I am not
sure where else to turn.  I have just finished sanding, sealing,
winding, and sealing the secondary coil (Approx. 983 turns of 24 awg
magnet wire on 4" drain pvc)  that I plan to use thanks to the
information provided by this group.  I also have a 6kv 30 ma neon (kind
of wimpy I know but it was the most I could get my hands on at the time)
that I plan to use to drive it (I was also curious if I got snowed on the
deal, is $40 about right?).  I also have acquired the 3/8 copper tubing
that I plan to use for my primary.

	My questions are the following,

1.  Seeing that I am on a teachers budget :-< I am planning on building
my own Caps and was wondering, is there any advantage to building a
stacked vs a rolled cap?  I have the plans for the rolled (ala R.Quick.)
 but It seems that the stacked would be easier seeing that the rolling
process is said to be tricky.

2.  Is there anything cheaper than plexiglass to insulate the primary
from a wood base?

3.  Are there plans or diagrams anywhere for a flat Cap?

4.  Will a single static spark gap quench OK with out an air blast?

5.  What length of sparks can I expect assuming very poor effeciency?

6.  There is going to be a hamfest in Tampa FL which I am planning on
attending and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things to
look out for that I will really need in the future?

	Once again I appreciate any help any one can offer,  and I am
sorry to bug you guys. (Eventually I hope to aquire the understanding
knowlege to be able to contribute to your very interesting discussions)
  =8-)

Much obliged uu
R. Pittman