[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BTC3 Type coil

I threw a rough bench setup of the coil together to get some of the bugs out
before assembly and I found some interesting things . I used 5 drawer pulls
of polished brass in line for a static gap and the end one has an adjustment.
After setting fairly close and wireing the unit up on the bench I powered it
up with the variac. At about 60 volts line it started to work slowly at the
gap with a repetitive pop,pop,pop,pop like each space was fireing one after
the other. This, after a little tuning gave great result at only 60-80 volts
line current to the xformer which is a 7500 v neon. I have 2 .003 doorknobs
on the unit rated -at- 40kv. I used smaller ones to start and overheated them in
tuning resulting in their demise. Im using a copper toilet bowl float for the
toroid but it wont break out without a ground probe coaxing it out, I think
because the primary is too high up on the coil and the top 3rd of the coil is
breaking out and arcing to the primary no matter how its tuned. Ive tried
every position so ill try a low spiral primary at the base of the coil. The
coil is 10 inches of #26 magnet wire on a plexiglas 3.5inch form. I want to
keep the slow gap if I can because the arcs are longer,slower and has a lot
of purple corona which I like for some reason although it will ozone you out
of a garage quickly. Think it will hurt anything running the unit at 60-80v
line? The more power I give it the shorter the arcs become and it seems the
higher the frequency although I will need to look a little closer at some
things to be sure of this, Im just judging by intensity of the arcs, visual
and sound. The gap fires like the tube coil I read about that was pulsed or
timed. I want to figure out a trigger device that will fire the unit 2-3
times every second continous.   Stephen Sanders