[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Isolating the secondary coil

Tesla List wrote:

> >From jd231825-at-engr.colostate.eduSun Oct 13 22:28:04 1996
> Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 16:47:25 -0600
> From: Jeff Detweiler <jd231825-at-engr.colostate.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Isolating the secondary coil
>
> Has (or did) anyone taken notice of Duane Bylund's Sept. 1991 article in
> Radio-Electronics (about a solid-state TC) which has a secondary coil that
> is magnetically (i.e. physically) isolated from the primary circuit? In
> other words, he has a solid-state circuit driving a HV transformer whose
> one lead is connected directly to the base of the secondary coil, and the
> other lead of the transformer is grounded. But the secondary coil is
> physically isolated from the transformer by a few feet.
>
> I've never seen this scheme before in the solid-state TCs I've seen. How is
> the HV produced, since there is no primary-secondary magnetic coupling? Is
> it by self-induction within the secondary coil? If so, what determines the
> output voltage, and what would determine the resonant frequency of the
> coil? (i.e. would the resonant frequency include dependency on the
> characteristics of the HV transformer driving the coil since it is
> physically connected to the coil?) And for that matter, why is this type of
> scheme not used with the traditional spark-gap type TCs?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jeff

Jeff,

The method of HV production via this single wire method is 100 Years old
and was introduced by Nikola Tesla. It is called "resonant rise by direct
base injection"  The efficiency of energy transfer from the HF
generator by such a method approaches 100%  The Bylund system is a Tesla
Magnifier system.

The voltage output of the system is by resoant rise within the resonator
coil itself and is a function ot the base current and voltage injected.
The frequency of the spark and radiated energy is due to the natural self
inducatnce and self capacitance of the resonator coil.

As to why a regular Tesla coil doesn't use this.... Well it sort of does
as the base is grounded and the magnetic energy launched into the
secondary is a close mime of the magnifier, but far less efficient.  Some
very few Tesla coil builders have been working with the spark
excited Tesla magnifier coil using the direct single wire coupling for
some 6-8 years or so now.

Richard Hull, TCBOR