[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark gaps

>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:53:01 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Mike Hammer <mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: spark gaps
>

>>IT's quite! I've used one for 2 years for a shop vac when I'm not
>>blowing my gap;) It will really quench your gap.
>>

>OK I will check that out. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of their catalog around
>here somewhere.
>
>So then I just suck air through a regular static gap with a vacuum cleaner
>motor?
>How would that be different than blowing air through it with a blower or fan?
>I can see that with a really strong vacuum the velocity might be greater.

MIke,
	With either pressure or vacuum quenched gaps using blowers,
only a few psi difference in air pressure will results. So, there
should be only a slight difference in function. Now if you were to use
a high pressure air source to blow out the arc, there will be a
significant air pressure increase which will change the arc's
characteristics and effect it's functioning.

	jim