[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzSun Oct 20 22:14:49 1996
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:24:30 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>

> > Malcolm, Richard Hull, All,

Sniperoo

 Ed Phillips coined the term "mutual capacitance" to describe
> this effect. The terminal is not isolated and floating free in space
> so its capacitance is never what theory might suggest. An interesting
> trap that Tesla might possibly have fallen into when measuring Cterm
> with a sphere at different heights is that the wire leading to the
> terminal can add greatly to the capacitance as well!  You can see this
> if you add a few feet of stiff wire to your discharge terminal and it
> shows up dramatically  in the L/C ratio of a vertical monopole.
>      Thanks for posting your observations on discharge types. I will
> make special note.
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

Malcolm, all

This very subject was dealt with extensively at the end of our report
tape #53.  I show the tremendous capacitance of a 5 foot length of #38
wire stretch out straight and how it far exceeded the capacitance of a
12X3 spun aluminum Toroid!!

This is pointed up in the fantastic article in the TCBA NEWS by M.
Schoessow vol 6, #2 1987.  In this article, he gives the classic equation
for capacitance with doesn't give a hoot in hell about surface area.

C= no. lines of E.S. force squared/32 X pi squared X total energy in the
field.

Naturally the fine wire has huge capacitance, not due to its net surface
area but due to its phenomenally large number of lines of electrostatic
force. (radius of curvature related).

Ultimately the electrostatic lines can relate back to a complex
geometric relationship between surface area and radius of curvature.

This article is "the best"!!  All who would simply understand just the
facts regrding isotropic capacity should have it in hand.  It saves a lot
of physics "double-speak" and relates just the realistic physical facts
related with the concept of isotrpoic capacitance.

Richard Hull, TCBOR