[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comSat Oct 26 23:48:38 1996
> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 20:29:05 -0700
> From: pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
> On 10/25/96 22:25:22 you wrote:
> >
> >>From huffman-at-fnal.govFri Oct 25 21:56:12 1996
> >Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:33:24 -0500
> >From: huffman <huffman-at-fnal.gov>
> >To: List Tesla <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> >Subject: Capacitor charge, were is it?
> >Group,
> >I'm having trouble with the idea of charge being stored in the dielectric.
> >This may not be totally Tesla related but I would like some comments,
> >stones, etc.
> >
> >R. Hull post - All of the charge is held in the dielectric of the secondary
> >and not the
> >metallic components.  This is the case in all capacitors.  The plates can
> >never store charge!..  Only conduct it to a point where work can be done
> >electrodynamically.
> >
> >If this is true we could not have a capacitor with a charge that has no
> >dielectric (vacuum).
>
> Since a vacuum is a conductor (i.e vacuum tube), you cannot have a potential
> difference (charge) in a pure vacuum.  This concept is theoretical.

Phil,

Not quite... :^)

Jennings and Kilovac are a couple of companies making vacuum capacitors
and vacuum relays. Both depend upon the excellent high voltage
insulating capability of a hard vacuum. Only under the right
circumstances can a vacuum be made to pass current. This can be done
through thermionic emission of electrons from a heated cathode (vacuum
tubes), or by field emission (when the electric field is so great that
it "rips" electrons from the surface of the cathode).

-- Bert --

<SNIP>