[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tank frequency

Quoting DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-com:

> In  response to Kyle Chadwick, it was mentioned that the
> ocilation frequency of the "tank" circuit is primarily a
> function of the inductance (L) of the primary coil and the
> capacitance (C) of the tank capacitor.  This is of course a
> boilerplate description of a typical LC circuit..... In a neon
> xformer driven tesla circuit (primary), however, I understand
> that the inductance of the neon supply xformer (its secondary
> winding) has a much greater impact on the tank circuits
> frequency of occilation than the relatively measily inductance
> of the tesla primary coil.  Any comments?

If the inductance of the neon affects the tank circuit much in
operation it certainly does not show on my scope. I measure the
frequency of oscillation with the power supply unhooked. The
frequency is almost identical with the circuit operating. The
neon secondary is not part of the tank.

> Second, I have heard the term "tank circuit" used to describe
> an LC circuit for years and have never found anyone who knew
> what "tank" orriginally referred to or why the circuit was
> blessed with this name...... any guesses?

It has been years since I referenced this. I am not sure, but I
think it comes from the liquid model of electrical oscillation,
with the tub or "wave tank" being part of the demonstration.

In the electrical circuit the inductive reactance and capacitive
reactance cancel to form a low resistance condition at the where
heavy currents can oscillate with low loss.

The tank model has a paddle introducing energy into to the system
in time with natural frequency, determined in this case by the
physical dimensions of the container. Without an outlet for the
energy stored in the wave, the amplitude grows each cycle, as the
paddle supplies a small input of energy every time the crest
passes. Eventually the wave breaches over the side of the tank.

But there is also the references to tank capacitors in Tesla's
oscillators. He literally used liquid filled tanks in the
circuit!

Anyway, the name fits.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12