[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Failure

<< Question:
 	Was the failure EXPLOSIVE, or just due to high internal
 pressure?  In other words, could there have been air in the capacitor
 which helped oxidize fuel (oil vapor) in a conventional explosion,
 or was it a case of a relatively high-energy spark vaporizing oil
 and expanding the case without any burning?  Also, was the capacitor
 oriented horizontally or vertically?  The latter would seem to make sure
 there was oil all along the casing (at least between capacitor sections),
 but would certainly be inconvenient.
 Ed >>

Ed,

When my capacitor failed, it was definitely explosive.  It would have blew
the end of the capacitor twenty of thirty feet (a guess) if it had not been
contained by the galvanized steel flashing that wraps around the cart for
strike protection.  It did make quite a dent in the steel when it hit.  The
caps are not completely filled with oil.  You can hear it sloshing around
when you shake them.  I have always mounted the cap horizontally - and I
think C.P. recommends this if I remember correctly.

Ed Sonderman