[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid-state TC - transformer design

>From: Alan Sharp <100624.504-at-CompuServe.COM>
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: Re: Solid-state TC - transformer design
>
>Greetings All,
>One dumb question - leakage induction. I'm assuming that the primary
>acts partly like a pure transformer perfectly coupled to the secondary.
>But partly like a pure inductor blind to the secondary. And of course
>partly as a pure resistor boiling off the enamel :(. So the effect of the
>leakage induction is then to resist the rise in current and to give
>back EMF at switch off. Is this right?

Alan,
	You've got it right on. The portion of the primary's flux that
does not cut through the secondary, is the "leakage inductance" and
acts just like you put an inductor in series with your transformer (of
reduced primary inductance).  Yes, it does both: resist the current
rise and increase the back EMF. Like I said, you got it right on;)

	jim

The only "dumb" question, is the one not asked!