[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)

... snip
>I am not 100% convinced that this gives best spark.  I am convinced this
>gives the best RF wave.

>Richard Hull, TCBOR

I noticed an effect when watching my coil on the scope.   With no spark
the ring made a typical decaying envelope trace on the scope.  I did not
count the number of cycles in the ring there were too many.  With spark
the trace looked like short pulses of only 3-4 cycles.  This was a low
power test generating sparks of only 2" - my scope still works.

If the number of secondary rings is reduced to 3-4 when sparks occur then
why are we considering short dwell times?  When secondary spark occurs the
energy is disipated and is no longer present in the system.

I am sure that I am missing something here because on Richard Quicks
video he shows significant performance improvement with improved
quenching from his vacuum gap.

The signal from the coil was obtained by connecting 6" wire to the scope
probe and positioning 1m from the coil.

Julian Green.