[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Vacume Tubes

----------
From: 	Tesla List[SMTP:tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, September 28, 1996 11:25 AM
To: 	Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Vacume Tubes

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 07:21:05 -0700
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Vacume Tubes

Tesla List wrote:

> >From gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.milFri Sep 27 22:20:26 1996
> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:58:08 -0500
> From: Dan Gowin <gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Vacume Tubes
>
> A Question for Richard Hull.
>
> Richard,
>         One of our junior engineers asked an interesting question
> that maybe you have some thoughts on. Could a picture tube be used
> in Tesla operation? We have a number of obsolete Monochrome monitors
> around here that we are currently throwing away. And, this is such
> a waste of good High Voltage Tubes, that maybe another use could be
> found for these devices.
>
> P.S.: Finished my flat plate capacitor, 50 peices 13"x8" Aluminum
>       flashing. And 15 sheets of 6 mil polyethylene between each
>       plate. Measured dry at .0285 uF. I Placed it in a plastic
>       comforter box and filled it with 3 gallons of Mineral oil.
>       I'm going to let it set for a week before I fire it though.
>       I'll keep you posted. Pictures coming soon (I Hope).
>
> Big Red, HV Capacitors. I Burned them up.
> D. Gowin

Dan,

Sounds like a nice cap! What voltage are you planning on running it
after break-in, and are the plates vertical or horizontal? Looking
forward to seeing the pictures!

Safe coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --

Bert,
	The plates are Vertical and currently my system runs on a 9 KV
120 Ma neon. After I allow the cap to settle for a week I'll test it with a 5KV
neon. And then, 9KV  testing followed by a gradual break in on my coil
for about a week to get the air out.

Note: I have sandwiched the stack between two 15"L x 8"W x 1"H peices
of pine. As the air is worked out of the stack, I will tighten down the two
1/4" threaded rods, I'm also using as electrical contacts for the plates.

 I will be running at 14.4 KV when my second 5 KVA 7200 Pri pig arrives
sometime in October. At which time I will be back in the Capacitor building
business. And, of course more ballast will be required.

Picture projection dates sadly, I'll say, third week in October. Unless of
course, I can scare some more spark out of my present bank of commercial
capacitors.

Big Red, HV Capacitors. I burned them up.
D. Gowin

  [Part 2, Application/MS-TNEF  4KB]
  [Unable to print this part]