[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMP cabinet

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Tesla List wrote:

> >         Do you seal the ends of your tubes?
> >

> Never...ever do I seal the end of a tube.  They remain hollow through and
> through!!  Basically, it is saw it off...Wipe it down with some suitable
> carcinogenic agent and wind away.  After I finish, I go to the computer
> and figure out how much wire I put on and about how many turns there are.
>  I use a very old but very suitable program called Tesla 551 to figure
> out what the inducatnce and res freq. should be. (again, only after the
> tube is wound up)  Finally I ring the thing out with all the test gear
> and find out what it really is to within a few percent.  On a stockish
> winding the program comes out to within 10%, usually.

	This is reassuring since I've never gotten around to sealing the
ends of mine, and still get fairly decent performance from it (i.e. about
17" from 900 VA). I had to dismantle mine for a bit because of an intense
travel schedule, and wife's requirments to clean the garage before I set
something on fire.

Stan