[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Polyethelyne plastic

Question:
   The nic.funet.fi Tesla Coil archives include directions for constructing
HV capacitors using poly plastic sheeting (available at the hardware store)
for the dielectric.  These directions say to use a 90 mil sheet (actually 3
30 mil sheets so that defects don't line up).  Now this is what I'm wondering
- I went to the store today, and they sell 2, 4, and 6 mil thicknesses.  A 6
mil thickness is 150 microns - did the archive author say 90 mils and mean 90
e-6 meters?  Thanks for your reply.

                             Aaron Datesman

[ The author said 90 mils, which means 90/1000 of an inch.  60 mils is
roughly 1/16".  You may have trouble getting it at a hardware store, but
you can get it at a plastics dealer.  See the Yellow Pages under Plastics
 -- Chip]